Statement of Beliefs of First Church
1. In the only living and true God, eternally existing in Three Persons: The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. (Deut 6:4; Matt 28:19)
2. In the Bible as the only inspired Word of God and as our final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
(2 Tim 3:15-17; 2 Pet 1:20-21).
3. In God who is the maker and creator of all things, including mankind made in His own image. (Gen 1:27; Heb 2:6-7)
4. In the total depravity of humanity through sin and the need of forgiveness through repentance.
(Jer 17:9; Acts 2:38; Rom 5:12; Rom 3:23; 1Jn 1:9-10)
5. In Jesus Christ our Lord, both divine and human; in His virgin birth; in His sinless life; in His miracles; in His atoning death; in His bodily resurrection; in His ascension and in His High Priestly Ministry.
(Jn 1:1; Is 7:14; 1 Pet 1:21; Acts 2:31-33; Phil 2:5-11; Heb 7:24-25)
6. In personal salvation by God’s grace received through faith.
(Gal 1:16; Jn 3:5-7; Eph 2:8)
7. In the filling of the Holy Spirit, which gives power for service, and is manifested in the fruit and gifts of the Spirit.
(Acts 1:8, 2:4; Gal 5:22-23; 1 Cor 12, 13, and 14)
8. In the observance of the ordinances of Christian Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
(Matt 28:19; Acts 8:37-38; 1 Cor 11:23-26)
9. In the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
(2 Tim 4:1; Acts 1:11; 1 Thess 4:13-18)
10. In the eternal destiny of individuals in either Heaven or Hell according to their acceptance or rejection of the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour.
(Jn 5:28-29, Jn 14:2-3; Rev 20:6; 20:11-15)
11. That Christ is head of the Church, and that believers are called to be members, living a life of obedience, holiness, and witness.
(Eph 5:23; Rom 12 4-5; Acts 1:8)